January 2016 Challenge

Update February 14, 2016.  Woo Hoo!  I won a Sponsor’s Choice award for this soap!  Thank you Majestic Mountain Sage!

A new soap technique challenge with Amy Warden and Great Cakes Soapworks.  Called the circling Taiwan Swirl (not too catchy, but it works) I only made one batch for this challenge.  It’s being judged on the “lotus” that can show up on one end of the loaf.  I personally like the the other parts of the swirl better.  (but, I’m not in charge ;*)

I used a bastile recipe very high in olive oil so it would stay workable.  I used purple, neon green,  pink and blue micas to color my batter.  I used a lavender, orange, patchouli blend to scent this.  It stayed quite liquid and I really love the swirls on the other bars.   (I can’t cut straight to save my life!  You’ll see in the pictures.)

I waited till the very last minute (literally) to submit this; I was waiting for the sun to come up.  The sun did not cooperate, so I used a light box to take photos.  So, the colors are not as good as they would be outdoors.   (The pink looks orange here.)  Anyway, I love swirls and neon green and the other colors

Taken outside.

taiwan outside 2

 

 

These are the most true to color.

 

taiwan middle bars

I had removed the original pics taken in a light box as the colors were really off.  I decided to put them back as a comparison of natural light and artificial light.  What a difference!

tiwan circle challenge

taiwan 3

Advertisements

Christmas Apron 2014

I recently visited my daughter and she was wanting a cute apron.  Bingo!  Mom can sew!  (IF ANY OF JOIE’S FRIENDS ARE READING THIS, DON’T TELL HER!  I don’t think she checks my blog!)  So, I made one for her for Christmas and it’s reversible to boot.  Hope she loves it.  I used a pattern from Sugar Pie Chic, the Simply Chic Apron pattern.  Very cute, and easy to make.  Also, the instructions are good.

My daughter loves mermaids and I had found a mermaid themed fabric last year with her in mind.  I figured I might as well make it reversible, since it doesn’t take much more work.   As you scroll through the pictures, keep in mind that I made a number of changes to this from the original instructions.

  • I made it reversible
  • I drafted a new pocket
  • The changes I made significantly changed the construction steps in the pattern directions.  Unless you’re an experienced seamstress, just follow the instructions.

Here is the bodice, one side has the mermaids, the other side is a coordinating water print.  It’s hard to tell from the picture, but the bodice is darted for better fit.  And of course, neck ties at the top.

 

IMG_6556

 

Here is the reverse side of the bodice.

IMG_6555

Here is the skirt.  The skirt is gathered, waistband is attached.

IMG_6558

 

Skirt ties pinned on and ready to stitch in place.

 

 

IMG_6562

 

Below, bodice and skirt has been stitched to waistband.  The waistband is pinned in place to be topstitched.

 

IMG_6561

 

 

Taa Daa!   Finished apron, the mermaid side.  I drafted the cute heart pocket.

 

joies apron

 

Here’s the reverse side.   The bodice looks darker in the pic, but is the same fabric as the skirt.

 

 

 

IMG_6565

 

 

Mantra Swirl results

Finally! My Mantra Swirl (thanks to Amy Warden, Great Cakes Soapworks  and Majestic Mountain Sage for setting this up)  that I think has some pizzazz! This was trial # 5 in this series, and the one that gave me the most trouble. I did not think it would turn out well!  (update:  I actually made six trials.  picture added; the blue, yellow and white was my first attempt)
Between fragrance  (a luscious jasmine-lavender blend with my own tweak)  accelerating trace, temperature and the planets not quite aligned for this project, it thickened quickly and was difficult to pour, more of a plopping instead of pouring.   (Great,  thought I, what a mess.)

I used my basic recipe which is outstanding; simple but fabulous on skin. I try to improve it, but truly, it’s just about perfect. I used hot pink mica with a little strawberry mica for the reddish part, green, and violet, all from The Conservatorie. (Wonderful stuff they have!)
For my previous trials, I did the two dividers so I had three separate sections of color. This one I decided to do just one divider down the middle and pour the middle color so it would sink in. So much for plans! Because it thickened so quickly, when I poured the pink center section, it just sat on the top.
Well, hay-ull. (As my mechanic would say) Dang and double hay-ull.
A mess, thought I. Tried to push the pink down with the divider, then a spoon, then a spatula. No cigar for this girl.
On to the hanger; maybe since it was so thick, the hanger would push it down. So, I pushed the hanger straight down the middle twice, then figured I would end up making it …murky. So, did the hanger swirl (down the long side and back and forth, going up a bit each time.
After all that, it’s my favorite of all my trials.

mantra 4

Here are all my mantra trials.  I like all of them, but hopefully learned and improved with each.

IMG_4226

Here’s the first attempt (forgot it when I took the above picture)

IMG_4039

Soaps, soaps, soaps, Oh My!

More soaps and other luscious luxurious indulgences.  Pumpkin Pie soap…wish you could smell it, just like freshly baked pumpkin pie.

IMG_3037

 

Here’s my second batch of coconut lime soap.  I used green clay and coconut; it feels and smells wonderful.

cocnut lemon lime

And, my daughter and I made all kinds of wonderful things this past weekend.  This lovely citrusy-floral soap with pink clay turned out beautifully.  Can’t wait to start using it.

IMG_3105

And lastly, for chocolate lovers.  Here’s a batch of cocoa butter soap on the left and chocolate swirl soap on the right.  Amazing!

IMG_3107