Back with Amy Warden’s soap challenge again, this one adapted from the dirty pour fluid acrylic technique. I used a Bastille recipe with olive oil, rice bran oil, coconut oil and castor to keep things fluid.
I used several color micas that seemed like they would look good, but I’m not so happy with the final product colors. I’ll try again with different colors. I used Apricot Freesia fragrance since I know it does not accelerate (learned this from an early soap challenge with Amy.) I mixed oils and lye around 110 F and stick-blended to emulsion.
The slab mold is cut from a cardboard shipping box; I really need to get a real slab mold! Here are my mold, couplers for pouring and the micas I used. The micas teal, apple green and neon green, orange and neon orange and purple (which I forgot to put in the picture.) I added a bit of pearly white (Brambleberry) to the plain batter.
And just the mold and couplers. This cardboard mold was a bear trying to line. As you can see, it leaked anyway.
I poured the green and teal in the outer coupler, the orange and purple in the smaller one. Part way through, I poured the plain soap into the corners. I finished pouring the colors and let the couplers drip onto the soap.
I think my batch was too deep to get really good movement when tilting it. It stayed nicely fluid though, but I will use a smaller batch next time. I think a shallower batch will work better.
So, here it is. Not bad for a first try and rushing to finish. Already thinking about the next one!